Union Lodge originally came under the jurisdiction of the Harmony Grand Lodge, F.A.A.Y.M (National Compact). However, recognizing the Most Worshipful Hiram Grand Lodge as the legitimate Grand Lodge of the State of Delaware, Union Lodge made application to the Most Worshipful Hiram Grand Lodge to become a part of the Prince Hall family. Their prayers granted, Union Lodge seceded from the F.A.A.Y.M. group and on October 31, 1883, they were instituted as Union Lodge #21 under the direction of the Most Worshipful Grand Master Richard H. Weeks. The membership at that time consisted of : S.V.B. Carty, James McPherson, Peter S. Kenton, James B. Crozier, Isaac T. Subflanz, Adam Benson, Peter Blake, Edward D. Spencer, George W. Murray, John W. Viney, Robert Jones, Jerimiah Backus, Robert Caldwell, and William Caldwell.